Thursday, December 16, 2010

Unit 2 Reflection Prehistory and Early Humans

1.I did several things to prepare for the test. I started with reviewing all my notes and re-reading everything we had done so far, all the organizers, notes on the textbook, notes on the articles, and all my blogs. I edited my blogs and added more information, which also helped me study for the test. After I had completed fixing my blogs I started testing myself on the vocabulary for this unit. I had my friends test me, my mom test me, and I also tested myself. After that I made myself a cheat sheet like the one Mrs. Moore started in class and recommended us to make. I included all the big ideas, and elaborated on them. I also included all the types of early humans and the order in which they lived. This made studying a lot easier for me. For me, these different study methods worked, and I really learned the information. Maybe if I were to redo this I would spend less time on my word study and worry more about my big ideas. I think that I might have over studied the vocabulary and that my big ideas might have needed some more detail and elaboration. That's the only thing I would change if I were to do this again.


2. The most surprising thing I learned about in this unit I that we are still unsure to why we became bipedal. I had always thought that the human race always had been bipedal, like a fact. It had never really occurred to me that it had taken us many thousand years to become bipedal, and that we weren’t bipedal from the start. Also, after such a long time evolving and adapting to our environment you would think that we know why the species we are now walks on two feet. That the only thing we have close enough to an answer is theories is also kind of scary. Some of the theories that we have include that we became bipedal to migrate easily and to travel faster. Another theory is that we needed to walk on two feet to use our hands to make tools. A third theory is that we became bipedal to impress the opposite sex, and then to reproduce. However, all of these theories are uncertain and they all have weak points. The question of why we became bipedal still remains unanswered, and maybe will stay unanswerable.

3.If we had more time to spend on this unit I would have liked to share our Stone Age stories. I think that it’s really interesting to see what other people have thought of, and it’s always fun to share ideas and read them aloud. It would be a great end to the unit. Another thing that I’d like to do would be like an ancient mystery only on early humans. We could have a question like why we became bipedal or any other unanswered question of the early past.

No comments:

Post a Comment