Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reflection Ancient Egypt Unit




1. During this unit, which skills and attributes do you demonstrate?
- Reflect on the Learner Profile

· Inquirer: I was an inquirer during this unit for the last presentation when I taught the class about Egyptian make- up, jewelry, wigs, and hygiene. I started with only jewelry as my topic, but after some convincing from Mrs. Moore I ended up changing it to jewelry, make- up and wigs. Then while I was researching I found out a lot of facts about ancient Egyptian women’s hygiene, so I researched more on the topic. I ended up adding it to my presentation, and having four main ideas instead of three.

· Knowledgeable: At the end of the ancient Egypt unit I really did feel knowledgeable. The area that I learned the most about was ancient women’s adornment, since I did a presentation on it, and I also learned the important ideas and main points from everyone else’s presentations. From doing the Egyptian mapping project I learned about Egypt’s physical features and climate. From the art project I learned about some Egyptian rituals about the afterlife and about the god Anubis, and also about hieroglyphics. I also feel like I have learned a lot from just being in class, listening and taking notes, and even watching fun horrible history videos.

· Communicators: I think that I showed my communicating skills well during the presentation about women’s adornment, mostly through my powerpoint. I didn’t have a lot of text like I usually have, and most of my information was either verbal or off of cue cards. Another part of this unit where I showed communication was in my Egyptian art, where I drew a picture of Anubis weighing a man’s heart. If the man’s heart wasn’t lighter than a feather, he would die and a monster would kill him. Otherwise he would go to the afterlife. I showed communication using hieroglyphics, spelling out the word “Death.”

· Thinkers: I showed my thinking creativity when doing the ancient Egyptian mapping project. We had to somehow fit a partially too big and partially too small piece of paper with countries onto a poster, and make it into a map of ancient Egypt. Sophie and I did this by tracing the countries on and although they weren’t 100% right. Then we also had to decide on a legend to our map, and think of reasonable landmarks. We also had too add all the importantphysical features and cities of ancient and present day Egypt.

· Risk- takers: I think that I was a risk- taker because I’m sort of nervous when I do presentations, and this time I gave a full-time detailed presentation about women adornment, including make- up, jewelry, wigs and hygiene. I was also a risk- taker choosing four main ideas instead of three, since I included hygiene later.


- Reflect on the ATL's

· Organizational: One way I showed organization was while preparing my ancient Egyptain’s adornment presentation, when I was transferring my information from the note sheets to typing it up. It was random facts, nonsense and important information mixed together, so I think I did a good job separating it into different categories and making a power point presentation out of it.

· Collaborative: I think I was collaborative while working on the Egyptian map projects. It was kind of hard to work together on one map, but I think that Sophie and I managed quite well. When we didn’t finish in class we took it home, and we met up on the weekend to make the finishing touches and to put everything together.

· Information Literacy: I also think that I displayed this while researching. It was kind of challenging finding only good websites, and to do this I had to scan and skim through the text. When I found a good one with valid information, it was even harder to put it in my own words, and I think that I did a pretty good job at it.

2. In your own words using examples from any unit studied this year, how did
the physical environment affect the development of civilizations?

One example of how the physical environment changed the ancient Egyptian civilizations was the Nile river. Because it was so rich and fertile, many people settled around it, benefitting of the Nile. This brought people together, and created large civilizations along the Nile rather than many small ones scattered around. However, the mountainous areas of Egypt kept people apart. Civilizations that might have been joined on either side of a mountain wouldn’t be able to, because of the physical barrier, and where there could’ve been one big civilizations there would be two small ones instead. Also, civilizations with fertile land or near resources would grow larger than ones without, and they would develop faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment